27 February 2013

8mp or 5mp?

This is just a comparison of shots made with the Nokia Lumia 820 and the Sony Xperia Go, with extra 'guest shots' from the iPod Touch 4 and the Cherry Mobile P7. This 'test' was done to help me decide on what smartphone I should be getting next (either upgrade or downgrade) as the camera is one of the features that I look for in a smartphone. I'm not a photographer, just a point-and-shoot person. But when I do take photos, I want them to come out good.

The Nokia Lumia 820 sports an 8mp camera with 3264x2448 pixels. It also has Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, and a dual-LED flash. The Sony Xperia Go on the other hand has a 5mp camera with 2692x1944 pixels, autofocus, and LED flash. These photos were taken with the default camera settings, save for the zoom feature in some of the test shots. Click on the images to see a larger version (when applicable).


Nokia Lumia 820: Outdoors - Sunny



Sony Xperia Go: Outdoors - Sunny



iPod Touch 4th Gen: Outdoors - Sunny



Cherry Mobile P7 : Outdoors - Sunny



Nokia Lumia 820: Indoors - inside my room



Sony Xperia Go: Indoors - inside my room



iPod Touch 4th Gen: Indoors - inside my room



Cherry Mobile P7: Indoors - inside my room



Nokia Lumia 820: Indoors - facing sunlight



Sony Xperia Go: Indoors - facing sunlight



iPod Touch 4th Gen: Indoors - facing sunlight



Cherry Mobile P7: Indoors - facing sunlight



Nokia Lumia 820: Indoors - facing sunlight (zoomed)



Sony Xperia Go: Indoors - facing sunlight (zoomed)



iPod Touch 4th Gen: Indoors - facing sunlight (zoomed)



Nokia Lumia 820: Indoors



Sony Xperia Go: Indoors



iPod Touch 4th Gen: Indoors



Nokia Lumia 820: Indoors (zoomed)



Sony Xperia Go: Indoors (zoomed)



iPod Touch 4th Gen: Indoors (zoomed)


The colors seem more vivid on the Sony Xperia Go. Is it because the Nokia Lumia 820 has dual-LED flash which makes the photos brighter (and paler, in my opinion)? I do like the wide angle the Nokia Lumia 820 camera has. I know that there are many other factors to consider, but if I'm just basing on these sample shots, I think I prefer the 5mp camera.


0 comments :