24 February 2013

DIY: Micro your SIM


Since getting the Nokia Lumia 820 (I'll tell you about it on another post), my only real dilemma was retaining my mobile number - one that I'm not ready to let go of just yet. The Nokia Lumia 820 uses a micro SIM, and my SIM card is the regular/traditional sized one, and really really old. Too old, that SIM-cutting services deny me the process, in fear of rendering my SIM unusable. Wussies. LOL!


My SIM card has a very big plate thingy, and by putting it under the SIM-cutter device you will see that the edges of that plate thingy will get hit. And because of that, not one of the stores agreed to cut it for me.


"Google is your friend". And it's been a very good friend to me tonight. I found this site and attempted to cut the SIM card myself. After watching some videos of actual homemade SIM-cutting, I grabbed the necessary equipment, gathered a lot of courage, and a pinch of be-ready-when-it-fails.


My SIM card is really old. Surely you can tell.


I followed the steps on the site and printed the template I needed. Then I drew/traced the very important lines, and finally cut them as if my life depended on it.

I actually encountered the same 'problem' the stores had on why they refused to cut my SIM card. With the template I printed out, I realized that the cut WILL hit the plate thingy. After watching a video of an actual cut hitting the plate, and the same SIM card tried on a phone and worked, I figured maybe it was meant to be hit. Well, not really 'meant to be', but more of like, the part that will get cut off, will not affect the SIM card in any way. It's nowhere near the points in the plate that the phone makes contact with (I read that somewhere). The guy in the video tried to use a saw to cut the SIM, but you don't really need that. Just really sharp and strong scissors.


After the trimming and some filing, my SIM card is finally happy inside the Nokia Lumia 820, and I'm happy too because I get to retain my number, and I now know how I can transform the rest of my SIM cards into micro SIMs, when the need arises. (Yeah, I have more than one number, lol)

0 comments :